September 26, 1981
Commentary: Bob Caudle/ David Crockett
- They announce Flair as new World Champion after he defeated Dusty Rhodes in Kansas City. Also Ole v Jay Youngblood is going down today. Jake Roberts and Leroy Brown as a team, Super Destroyer and the Grappler along with Austin Idol, Ron Bass and Slaughter are scheduled to appear.
- Jake and Leroy Brown arrive. Jake is a Dynamite promo. Leroy is something in his own way. That something is not very good.
Austin Idol v Scott McGee
Actually a really solid match. Idol looked like a million bucks and McGee did a hell of a job. 1-1
Winner: Idol via the figure four. He called out Flair for half the match so there you go.
NWA Television Championship: (C) Ron Bass v Jim Nelson
Damn, another really solid match. Ron Bass was kind of awesome. Jim Nelson was OK for what this was as well. I dug it. Plus a Fargo (Roughhouse?) was the referee. 2-2
Winner: Bass with a running powerslam.
- We get a tape of the next match.
Sgt. Slaughter v Frank Monte
Started out slow but then Sarge started whooping that ass. Hell of a squash here though. 3-3
Winner: Sarge with the Cobra Clutch. This era of Sarge was quite good.
- David is with Scott McGee. Neither of these dudes should have ever been near a microphone ever. Woof.
The Grappler/Super Destroyer v Johnny Weaver/Ron Ritchie
Honestly? I enjoyed this way more than I thought. A really good southern style tag match. I’m all about this show tonight. 4-4
Winner: The heels following a Destroyer Superplex on Ritchie.
- Jake Roberts is out to bitch about the pinfall not being legal. It’s none of your business Jake.
- Winning team is with Bob talking shit about Jake. Yeah, he deserves it.
- Time for the promo train!
- Idol says a bunch of shit and wants Flair.
- Ole dogs all the babyfaces.
Jake Roberts/Leroy Brown v Ricky Harris/Mike Miller
Man Jake would have been World Champion had he been built worth a shit. This was a fun little tag match that I had no issues with. 5-5
Winner: Leroy pinned Miller after a knee lift/splash combo.
- Jim Nelson/Ricky Harris/Mike Miller are with David to complain. Nelson’s head would never get smaller no matter what country he pretended to be from.
Jay Youngblood v Ole Anderson
Honestly this fucked pretty hard until the interference of the Grappler. Ole was a great heel and Jay put the smackdown in with those chops. Good stuff. 6-6
Winner: Jay after a DQ when the Grappler interfered.
- Jake Roberts/Ron Bass and Leroy Brown made the save.
- All the babyfaces are with Bob and cut a hyped up promo that was in no way influenced by cocaine.
Overall Thoughts: Hell of a show from top to bottom. You have to be in to a slower pace but damn it kinda over delivered for me.
Follow me right here.
All Images Available at WWE.com
If you like what we do and want to help keep this site running, hit up our store right here. We can use all the support that we can get.