Another week of the Billion dollar show! This show had the benefit of following one of the worst episodes of Raw in a long time. So it probably came across better than it actually was.
Corpus Christi, Texas
Commentators: Corey Graves, Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton
- The Women’s Champ is out first to try to get inside Asuka’s head. Is it really a good idea to piss off a woman that can murder you in the ring at will? Regardless, Asuka comes out and Carmella continues to run her mouth. Then after that awkward bit, Mandy and Sonya to also talk shit to Asuka. These people are out of their damn minds. Paige finally saves the segment by making a Asuka vs Sonya and Mandy handicap match.
Match 1: 2 on 1 Handicap
Asuka defeated Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville after making Sonya tap to the Asuka Lock.
They are doing their very best to make Asuka look human and I’m not positive it’s working. Carmella tried her best to be a distraction but that didn’t work either. All this will be totally worth it when Carmella beats Asuka clean at MITB I’m sure. Totally not a waste. That belt shot was weak as hell.
- Miz is practicing Mizjitsu when the New day come in to bother a guy that’s not doing anything. Jerks. Pancake humor ensues.
Match 2: Single
Karl Anderson defeated Harper with a rollup.
I love the Club but they are clearly being set up as cannon fodder for the tag champs. They treated this win as a complete fluke and then the babyface team looked bad by bailing immediately. The BB’s aren’t exactly the Big Show and Kane and aren’t THAT intimidating. The match at the PPV should hopefully be good though.
- We get a recap of last week’s dancestravaganza.
- Naomi talks and she’s not dancing so I barely pay attention.
Match 3: Mixed Tag
Jimmy Uso/Naomi defeated Aiden English/Lana after Jimmy hits the superkick on Aiden.
The real big story is the match that Aiden saved Naomi’s damn life on that dive. This obviously would have made more sense with Rusev but he is in his own deal at the moment. I’m not trying to be mean but this was completely unmemorable outside of that dive.
- Paige moderates the contract signing between Nak and AJ. This was what it was. Nak was weird, AJ was angry and Paige was hot. Waste of time.
Match 4: Single
Becky Lynch defeated Charlotte Flair with the Disarm-Her.
I really liked this match. These two did a hell of a job. Becky is finally getting that monkey off her back and this didn’t make Charlotte look bad at all. Then they even get along after the match and not start feuding for some dumb reason. A really good wrestling segment.
- We get an Awesome interview with Samoa Joe that is everything good about a wrestling promo. You believe every single thing the guy says.
- We get an Awful interview with Big Cass that is everything bad about a wrestling promo. You don’t believe a single thing the guy says.
- Sin Cara gets more screen time before he gets interrupted by Zelina Vega. she immediately improves everything about the interview and in the end Cara gets killed by Andrade Cien Almas.
Match 5: 6-Man Tag
The New Day defeated The Miz, Samoa Joe and Rusev after Miz took the Midnight Hour.
This was another fun match. Miz accidentally throwing pancakes at his partners and getting killed for it was pretty hilarious. Not an all time classic main event by any means but it was just the type of solid crowd pleasing thing that WWE needed after that shitty evening of Raw.
Overall Thoughts: This was waaaaaay better than Raw. That doesn’t mean this was a great show or anything it’s just that raw was so bad that even an average show like this is a major improvement. I’m glad I didn’t have to be as angry this morning as I was yesterday.
All Images Available at WWE.com
Follow me on Twitter- at bigredfrench
If you are feeling extra froggy we now have a chadsanidiot facebook page as well.